Gary Glitter to die behind bars after being recalled to prison

Disgraced pop star Gary Glitter will now die behind bars after being recalled to prison just weeks after his release, the former head of Scotland Yard’s Paedophile Unit has said. Mike Hames predicted the 1970s glam rocker, real name Paul Gadd, would now spend the rest of his life in jail as he will always represent a danger to children.

The Probation Service confirmed on Monday that the 78-year-old paedophile was being recalled to prison following a breach of his licence conditions.

This came after he was filmed at his bail hostel attempting to access the dark web on his mobile phone. Whilst it is understood he did not break the law, it is understood he attempted to visit websites on the dark web that would have enabled him to evade internet monitoring software installed on his mobile phone by the Probation Service to monitor his online activity.

Mr Hames confirmed that under the terms of his licence Glitter would not have been “allowed to conduct certain things on his phone”.

He added: “As far as Gadd is concerned, he is so dangerous and so fixated on his offending behaviour that he’ll never stop – he’s gone too far. He’s arrogant, he’s opinionated.

“He’s someone who’s always going to be a danger to children, quite frankly.”

The bald pensioner, whose hits included I’m The Leader Of The Gang, was released from custody at HMP The Verne in Dorset in February, halfway through his 16-year prison sentence. He was jailed in 2015 for sexually abusing three schoolgirls.

He was at the height of his fame when he preyed on his victims, who thought no-one would believe their claims because of his celebrity status.

The offences came to light nearly 40 years after they occurred when Glitter became the first person to be arrested under Operation Yewtree – the investigation launched by the Metropolitan Police in the wake of the Jimmy Savile child sex scandal.

But his sudden fall from grace occurred years earlier after he admitted possessing 4,000 child pornography images and was jailed for four months in 1999.

Mr Hames added: “I have no doubt he’ll serve the next eight years of his sentence… He’ll probably die in prison.”

The Probation Service has refused to disclose his location for security reasons but said any future re-release would be down to the Parole Board.

A Probation Service spokesperson added: “Protecting the public is our number one priority. That’s why we set tough licence conditions and when offenders breach them, we don’t hesitate to return them to custody.”

Source: Read Full Article