Basundi, milk barfi, puran polis, kheer and shrikhand are all Dussehra staples.
The festival is incomplete without a taste of homemade mithai, and Shumaila Chauhan doesn’t want you to settle for the pedestrian.
She take the classic barfi and adds the wholesomeness of sesame seeds and walnuts for a nutty treat. Her sweetmeat includes jaggery for those of you who are worried about eating too much white sugar.
Shumaila often eschews maida and processed flours for walnuts and sesame in her recipes.
Walnut And Til Barfi
- 1 tbsp ghee + a little extra for greasing the setting pan
- 500 ml full-fat milk
- ½ cup milk powder
- ½ cup walnuts + ;¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- ¾ cup til or sesame seeds + a little extra for sprinkling on top of the barfi
- 1/3 cup gud or jaggery powder
- ½ tsp green elaichi or cardamom powder
- 5″ x 7″ glass dish or metal container for setting the barfi
- Parchment paper
- In a saucepan over low heat, roast the sesame seeds for 3-4 minutes.
They will turn slightly golden and pop.
Keep stirring and do not allow the seeds to burn.
Take off heat and let cool.
Transfer into a blender and coarsely grind.
- Pulse the walnuts in a blender.
Be careful to not over grind them or else you will have walnut butter.
The walnut mixture should be coarse.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the ghee.
Add the milk and stir.
Let it come to a slow boil over medium heat.
Add the milk powder.
Cook over medium heat, stirring often.
Make sure to scrape the sides of pan and add those crispy bits into the milk mixture.
Cook for around 10-15 minutes or till the milk has reduced to half.
Add the walnut mixture and the jaggery powder.
Cook for another 5-6 minutes.
Add in the powdered sesame seeds.
Stir for another 2-3 minutes.
Add in the cardamom powder and the chopped walnuts (reserving a few for the garnish).
Stir till the mixture thickens and starts leaving the sides of the pan — it will look a little doughy.
Take off heat.
- While the barfi mixture is still cooking grease a 5″ by 7″ pan.
Line with parchment paper.
Quickly turn the hot cooked barfi mixture into the pan and spread evenly.
Top with the reserved chopped walnuts and sprinkle some sesame seeds.
Set for an hour in the refrigerator after you have lightly scored it — semi-cut into rectangles.
Take out of the fridge, cut into rectangles along the scored lines and serve.
- REDIFF RECIPES
Shumaila Chauhan is the creator of the food blog Novice Housewife.
Source: Read Full Article