Polls have closed in key states of the US as the world watches a political spectacle unfold. The first election results have begun to trickle in.
While Republican candidate and incumbent President Donald Trump is seeking a return to office for a second term, Democrat leader Joe Biden has campaigned aggressively to grab the White House seat.
Click here for complete coverage of US Presidential Elections
Voters lined up on November 3 to exercise their franchise based on government’s response to and challenger Biden’s promises on national issues such as the weakening economy, coronavirus crisis, racial inequality and health care policy among others.
Here are the latest updates:
– Voting will close in Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Tennessee at 6.30am IST.
– Joe Biden is expected to win in Maine and Vermont, according to the projections of the US media.
– The incumbent president now has 19 electoral college votes and Biden 13. The magic number is 270.
– Donald Trump has won West Virginia, while Joe Biden has won in Virginia, AFP reported
– Donald Trump has won the traditionally Republican-leaning states of Kentucky and Joe Biden has won the state of Vermont.
– Polls have closed in North Carolina (15 electoral votes), Ohio (18 electoral votes), and West Virginia (5 electoral votes).
– All eyes are on Georgia. It has been a comfortable state to win for the Republican Party in all but two presidential elections since 1960.
-According to news agency AFP quoting US networks, Donald Trump has won Indiana (also home to Vice-President Mike Pence) and Vermont. He is also set to win Kentucky, according to projections by US news media.
– Polls have closed in Georgia, the rest of Indiana and Kentucky, South Carolina, Vermont and Virginia.
Source: Read Full Article